Monday, December 13, 2010

Student Art Gallery

There were many pieces in this art show I had to think about. The art show had everything from photography, paintings, ceramics, and wire sculpture. It was interesting to see the project that my peers were creating. All the pieces were very different from one another, yet I did seem to find some similarities between them. I feel like they were a reflection of the students inner feelings, maybe they shared the common trait of some sort of growth or reflection of themselves. Most of them had an animal or a person as the subject.

My favorite pieces happened to be the photos. The first one was a gory looking man with whited out eyes. He was bloody and his skinned looked burned. A disturbing as this sounds, it actually was that bad to look at. Maybe the whited out eyes lightened up the image and made it softer, giving it some sort of appeal. Half of his face was blurred out, which also made it easier to look at. His face was also covered in what appeared to be gauze. I think that this monster man was my favorite because the artist made the visual graphics look amazing. For being such a gory image, it looked like it could be in a movie or a villain in a new aged comic.

The other photo I enjoyed was window mounted in a nice black frame, which made it look more professionally finished than the others. The photo was of the back of a teddy bear and in the background was a young woman's legs with high heals and a tattoo. I really thought this photo was cute. The lighting shot and taken with this photo was what made it awesome. There was hard light and it casted a vivid shadow of two legs and the stuffed animal.

The next one I enjoyed was a painting of an elephant with wings with bright colors flying from the background. To me, the elephant represented wisdom and respect. The wings and bright colors represented freedom and the ability to be creative. I absolutely loved this painting.

There was one I feel that maybe there wasn't enough effort put into it. It was titled "self portrait." This one was a sculpture. It was of a smashed phone and the sculpture coming out of it reminded me of a pez dispenser. The was a tree trunk like stem with a head on top, attached to the head was a little monster head, maybe like this guy had a split personality or a little devil side to himself trying to eat away at him. It was the symbolic gesture that didn't win me over with this piece, I just felt like maybe the craftsmanship could have been done in a neater fashion.

Any who, this little lunch time art gallery was fun to see and I'm glad that I was able to walk through!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment